Staff Software Engineer - Back-End
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As a Staff Engineer at Kin, you'll develop the products and features that make Kin operate. We're a Ruby on Rails environment with Typescript front-end and PostgreSQL database, and we apply Agile methodologies to our product and software development processes. In your role, you will have the opportunity to work on more complex engineering problems while collaborating with peers in Dev, Product, QA, and other cross-functional teams. As a senior team member, you'll have the opportunity to mentor more junior engineers, and on occasion lead small teams.
A day in the life could include:
- Writing clean, maintainable, and efficient code in Ruby on Rails and occasionally some Python and Typescript
- Setting the standards for the Engineering team by example
- Leading pair programming sessions and providing mentorship to team members
- Driving and fostering advanced design or architectural tasks
- Developing technical roadmaps
- Participating in daily stands and weekly retros
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members, including our Insurance Product and Actuarial teams
- Providing subject matter expertise and support
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 5+ years experience coding with Ruby
- Experience with architectural planning and design
- Ability to articulate value of technical investments
- Ability to operate with little-to-no technical guidance
- Experience mentoring engineers
- Comfortable in a startup environment – we’re fast-paced, self-motivated, and determined to change the industry
- A fast learner, ready to bring previous knowledge to this position and continue developing along the way
- Location in Central or Eastern US time zones (CDT & EDT) strongly preferred
- At this time, we are unable to sponsor employment visas
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Something looks off?